Pages

Monday 27 September 2021

Pre-reading Task

                                                The 1900s attitude  towards kids

In the 1890s, sociologist Viviana Zelizer proclaimed that we were living in the age of the ''priceless'' child. She noted that in the late  9th century, children were valued primarily for their economic contributions to their families, and to society at large. But by the early 20th century - and in the wake of child labour laws and declining rates of child mortality – the value of children started to be defined in sentimental terms.

Today, in an era of obsessive child-proofing and Amber Alerts and princess-themed birthday parties, the idea of the priceless child is easy to grasp. It can also be seen in the constant hovering of “helicopter” parents, ready to swoop in at a moment’s notice to protect their little darlings from harm, even minor inconvenience.



Here is the link I got the information from:

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.